st: concurrent datasets

From   tashi lama <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: concurrent datasets
Date   Thu, 19 Jul 2012 14:30:48 +0000

Hello,

     I was ecstatic this morning to find out stata allows to open another dataset while dataset from web is in memory, which runs counter to belief that stata allows only one dataset in memory. I would be very interested to know the reason. Could someone throw light in this..

webuse even

use t2   (stata is happy)

webuse even

rename number number1

use t2   (stata doesn't like it and says "no; data in memory would be lost")

use t2

use t3   (stata doesn't like it and we all know this)

thanx guys...