Re: st: Ordered Logit - Should I use it or not

From   "Augusto Pallavicini" <agupalla@hotmail.com>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   Re: st: Ordered Logit - Should I use it or not
Date   Sun, 15 Jul 2012 20:28:53 +0100

Many thanks Sunil and Christoph.
About tobit and hurdle models, how can I test for non-normal and heteroskedastic errors?

thanks!!

From: "Sunil Kumar" <stuff.sunil@googlemail.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2012 6:50 PM
To: <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject: Re: st: Ordered Logit - Should I use it or not

Augusto,

I see no reason why you should not simply treat your dependent
variable--willingness to pay--as a continuous variable, censored at 0.
That means you can analyze it using a tobit model, or, if you believe
that the process determining the binary decision to be willing to pay
anything (yes or no) is different from the process that determines the
amount, conditional on that amount being positive, then you could
explore a double hurdle type model (see, for instance, Moffatt, Peter
G. 2005. Hurdle models of loan default. Journal of the Operational
Research Society 56 (9): 1063-1071.).

Best,
Sunil

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Augusto Pallavicini