st: markdown

From   "Marder, Andrew" <amarder@hbs.edu>
Subject   st: markdown
Date   Tue, 10 Jul 2012 13:35:00 -0400

Dear Stata List,

I have also enjoyed the knitr package for R and needed to write a quick tutorial on how to use Stata.  I wrote a bare bones program to evaluate and embed the results of Stata code into a markdown file.  Here are the results:

https://github.com/amarder/stata_tutorial/blob/master/tutorial.md

Here is the function I used to create the above markdown file:

https://github.com/amarder/stata_tutorial/blob/master/knitr.do

And here is the input to that function:

https://github.com/amarder/stata_tutorial/blob/master/tutorial.domd

This is feature poor compared to R's knitr, but I think it demonstrates how useful this approach can be.

All the best, Andrew

From: "Airey, David C" <david.airey@vanderbilt.edu>
Subject: st: markdown
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 11:34:25 -0500

I was just playing around with Rstudio (I use Stata and R) and its new markdown capability (dependent on knitr and other packages). The point I wanted to make is that it is now *easy* to produce very nice HTML reports, without knowing LaTeX. This is one feature that Stata seems relatively behind with--dynamic reporting.

Over the years we have seen various solutions, some quite intricate, and we know the -file- command can create any markup output, but that is not easy as one click "knitting" in RStudio. I have used the very nice texdoc command in Stata. It has been brought up before that Stata Corp might make it easier to use light markup languages for report generation (markdown, reST).

http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=pr0020
http://ideas.repec.org/c/boc/bocode/s457021.html
http://www.rstudio.org/docs/authoring/using_markdown
http://www.rpubs.com/