st: error message "label xxx already defined"

From   xueliansharon <>
Subject   st: error message "label xxx already defined"
Date   Tue, 10 Jul 2012 10:03:17 -0700 (PDT)

Dear all,

I try to merge two files and always get an error message as "label xxx
already defined". What's more strange is that when I check the master and
using data file, I don't have the variable "xxx". Does anybody know the
reason for this?

For your information, here are the commands and results:

use "D:\work\aa.dta", clear
sort personid
merge 1:1 personid using "D:\work\bb.dta"

(label xxx already defined)

tab xxx

variable xxx not found

Thank you very much for your time!