Re: st: password protection and -import excel-

From   David Kantor <>
Subject   Re: st: password protection and -import excel-
Date   Thu, 28 Jun 2012 21:04:15 -0400

At 11:08 AM 6/28/2012, Clyde Schechter wrote:
I have been given some data to analyze in the form of several Excel files. I want to bring them into Stata with -import excel- in a loop, but they are password protected (I have the password). I can't find anything in the help file or the manual about an option for specifying the password.

So then I thought I might do it in Stat Transfer (version 11), but I can't find any way to get that to open a password protected file either.

For now, I'm just going through them all manually, re-saving them under new names without password protection, and then importing them. But it's tedious. I'm hoping somebody out there knows a way around this.

I've had the same problem; used the same solution -- re-saving them under new names without password protection.

I'd be curious to know if any other solutions have been found.
I wonder if Excel can run a script -- to open and re-save a set of files. ??