Re: st: R: Paramertric survival analysis: shared frailty

From   Steve Samuels <>
Subject   Re: st: R: Paramertric survival analysis: shared frailty
Date   Sun, 24 Jun 2012 10:36:08 -0400

As far as I can tell, you can't get estimated random effects after a parametric
survival analysis in Stata. Although -streg- will fit shared frailty models, there
is no post-estimation option to create the random effects. As you say, random
effects can be estimated  after -stcox-; the command to do this in Stata 11 and 12

predict nu, effects

-stcox-  fits only a random intercept. -glamm- and -xtmepoisson- can
fit more elaborate mixed proportional hazards models and output the random effects.
See Chapter 7 of the the GLLAMM manual. These models are semi-parametric as the are
the Cox models.

I looked through R's contributed packages and the documented examples in HLM and
OpenBugs but nothing to help you there. However SAS's NLMIXED procedure provides a
complete solution if you are willing to write out the likelihood equations.  For
an example see: