Re: st: Need Help Recoding a variable -Dealing with string expression

From   daniel klein <>
Subject   Re: st: Need Help Recoding a variable -Dealing with string expression
Date   Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:11:53 +0200

Not quite sure where you are going with this, nor whether I fully
understand the problem, but you might want to look into regular
expressions (help regexm). Alternatively, you might want to -destring-
your string variable, specifying the -force- option. Any "non-numeric
string" will then be coded system missing value in the new variable.

Something like this might work

destring <strvar> ,force g(foo)
recode x (rule) [(rule) ...] if mi(foo)

You might get the wrong results, if <strvar> has missing values, or
"numeric strings" cannot be handled by -destring-.

Dear Stata List User ,

I need to recode a variable if another variable has a nonnumeric
string observation(could have any non-numeric expression)

Eg:       recode x(......)  if y =TSTATA COMMAND  (any  non-numeric
string expression)

Can you please help me with the command to take into consideraiton
"any non-numeric string expression "

Thank you ,
Yours Sincerely,