Re: st: Need Help Recoding a variable -Dealing with string expression

From   Nick Cox <njcoxstata@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Need Help Recoding a variable -Dealing with string expression
Date   Wed, 20 Jun 2012 15:00:03 +0100

The question is too general to answer fully but one pattern is just

recode x <whatever> if y == "foo"

In addition to exact equality of string values there are many other
possibilities involving string functions.

Nick