Re: st: marginal effects in biprobit and average treatment effect in switching probit

Subject   Re: st: marginal effects in biprobit and average treatment effect in switching probit
Date   Fri, 15 Jun 2012 12:27:53 -0400

Monica Oviedo <[email protected]>:
The relevant code appears on slide 14 of 46 and is prefaced by the text:
*
How do we calculate the marginal effect of treatment after biprobit? Three
"obvious" approaches: use -margins-, use -predict- to get probabilities, or use
binormal() with predicted linear indices. The last is more correct, but all
should give essentially the same answer.
*
Evidently, the -margins- approach is the least correct.
If results differ, you should prefer the other approaches, but
read the references on interpretation of various ATE estimates.

Also, read the Statalist FAQ on not replying to an old thread to
initiate a new query.

I doubt -biprobit- will work well for the model with an endogenous interaction.
You have a single instrument z for two endogenous variables y2 and x*y2.

Instead of
biprobit (y1=x y2 xy2) (y2=x z)
try
ivreg2 y1 x (y2 xy2=z xz)
(ivreg2 is on SSC) and read the references on weak instruments
diagnostics in the -ivreg2- help file.