RE: st: RE: RE: RE: RE: Combining multiple observations by an ID variable

From   Claude Beaty <cbeaty1@jhmi.edu>
Subject   RE: st: RE: RE: RE: RE: Combining multiple observations by an ID variable
Date   Wed, 13 Jun 2012 17:28:17 +0000

Nick,

I am beginning to think the same thing. Thanks.

Claude A. Beaty Jr., M.D.
Halsted Surgical Resident
Cardiac Surgery Research Fellow
The Johns Hopkins Hospital

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:03 PM
To: 'statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu'
Subject: RE: st: RE: RE: RE: RE: Combining multiple observations by an ID variable

At a rough calculation, you are asking for an astronomical number of variables here. Getting the syntax right to do an impossible thing is not of use or interest.

Do read Sarah's close discussion, just posted.

I've got to say that it's my strong impression that the advice you are receiving to -reshape wide- and the support you are getting in trying to do that are leading you in fruitless directions.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Claude Beaty

So I attempted to run your suggested code without the `vlist' macro. Here is the actual code that I ran:

order trr_id_code trr_fol_id_code
reshape wide abo-yr_entry_us_tcr, i(trr_id_code) j(trr_fol_id_code) string

Unfortunately, I still receive the error message "too many macros". Incidentally, I am running Stata SE 12.1.

[snip]