Re: st: Aggregating spatial units for SPMAP (sorry, no simple solution)

From   Scott Merryman <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Aggregating spatial units for SPMAP (sorry, no simple solution)
Date   Sat, 9 Jun 2012 14:20:17 -0500

Though this does not aggregate regions, one can use the line
suboption (along with the polyfirst option) to draw a regional
border:

Scott

cd "C:/data"
use "Italy-RegionsCoordinates.dta",clear
gen aggregated_region = 1 if inrange(_ID,1,10)
replace aggregated_region = 2 if inrange(_ID,11,20)

save foo,replace
qui {
foreach l in 8 9 10 11 12 {
use foo,clear
       keep if _ID == `l'
       duplicates drop
       save foo`l',replace
       }
//area 12 in region 2 borders areas 9 and 10 in region 1
foreach l in 9 10 {
use foo12,clear
gen order = _n
merge 1:1 _X _Y using foo`l'
keep if _m == 3
gen gr = `l'
sort order
save foo12_`l',replace
}

//Area 11 in region 2 borders areas 8, 9, and 10 in region 1
foreach l in 10 9 8   {
use foo11,clear
gen order = _n
merge m:1 _X _Y using foo`l'
keep if _m == 3
gen gr = `l'
sort order
save foo11_`l',replace
}

use foo11_10
drop if order > 102
save,replace

use foo12_9
append  using foo12_10 foo11_10 foo11_9 foo11_8
save foo2,replace
}

use "Italy-RegionsData.dta", clear

spmap pop98 using "foo", id(id)  ///
  fcolor(Greys)  os(none ..)    ///
       polygon(data("foo") by(aggregated_region) fcolor(none none) ///
       oc(red blue) osize(vthick vthick)) ///
       polyfirst line(data(foo2) color(blue) size(thick)) ///
       label(x(x) y(y) label(id)) name(region,replace)

fs foo*
   foreach f in `r(files)' {
            rm `f'