Re: st: re: data creation for hazard regression

Subject   Re: st: re: data creation for hazard regression
Date   Fri, 8 Jun 2012 11:16:17 -0400

Kenisha Russell <[email protected]>:

You will get better answers if you describe your data better--do you
have monthly observations on women?  What transitions are you
observing? Labor market? Education?  If you have data measured once
monthly, you are probably better off turning the data into
person-month observations and using a discrete-time hazard model; see
e.g.
https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/resources/survival-analysis-with-stata-module-ec968
http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/h/hshaz.html
http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/p/pgmhaz8.html

In any case, before you do any data work, you should replace with
missing dates that are out of range:
replace CMchild1=. if CMchild1==999999

Next consider what subtracting 7 from a date in the format 201003
might mean--is that what you mean by "century month format" perhaps?
200996 is not the answer you want, I assume!
But perhaps you have a proper date variable and you mean you have
applied a display format such as
format d %tm_CCYY_Mon
Just make sure you know what values are encoded in the variable, and
not just how they display.

If you arrange your data as person-month observations, and create a
date variable "now" measuring contemporaneous time, and 3 date
variables "born1,born2,born3" for months of birth, then you can
generate a pregnant dummy like so:

g pregnant=0
forv i=1/3 {
replace pregnant=1 if inrange(now,born`i'-7,born`i')
}

bearing in mind there will be some considerable measurement error in
the pregnant variable.  Are you sure every child is a biological
child?  Are there women with more than 3 children in the data?  Do you
have any information on gestational age at birth?

If you rewrite your question, please take some time to make it
clearer; phrases like "the likelihood of pregnancy is also 3" just
confuse the reader and lower the probability of your getting a useful
answer:
http://blog.stata.com/2010/12/14/how-to-successfully-ask-a-question-on-statalist/