st: Import excel issues stata12

From   Katherine Sawyer <>
Subject   st: Import excel issues stata12
Date   Tue, 5 Jun 2012 16:18:56 -0400

Hello, has anyone been able to import an online excel file directly
into stata 12 without saving first?  I need to write a loop to pull
multiple datasets from online, so I am trying to bypass manually
opening and saving them first.  When I try the following code:

import excel,
sheet("UCDP DyadicDataset") firstrow clear

I get this error:  file
could not be loaded

I have tried many variants of the above syntax.  For example, this
also does not work (returns the same error):

import excel using,
sheet("UCDP DyadicDataset") firstrow clear

I am having no issues importing an excel file I've saved first.  The
following works perfectly:

import excel "C:\Desktop\Uppsala
Data\UCDP_DyadicDataset_v12011_1946_2010.xls", sheet("UCDP
DyadicDataset") firstrow clear

Thank you very much in advance for any help.