RE: st: Parametric survival analysis with competing risks

From   "Seed, Paul" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Parametric survival analysis with competing risks
Date   Mon, 30 Apr 2012 17:19:24 +0100

Dear Enzo, Cameron,

Thank you for your comments, and reading list. Several the papers are about
estimating effects of treatments or exposures.  Unbiased estimates are not my concern here.
I am solely interested in arriving at an accurate parametric estimate of the hazard function that
can be tuned for different test results.  It is important that the resulting survival function
should correspond to that imagined by the clinicians using it (once I have established what this is);
and this, it appears, I can achieve by choosing appropriate censoring times for competing events.

I relied mainly on Sally R. Hinchliffe "Competing Risks - What, Why, When
and How?" (http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/health-sciences/research/biostats/youngsurv/pdf/SHinchliffe.pdf/view)
which draws on Fine & Gray (1999) and Putter (2007) - references given.  The subdistibution hazard
that she describes appears to have the properties I want.  In particular, (slide 23):

* The difference between cause-specific and
subdistribution hazards is the risk set.

* For the cause-specific hazard the risk set
decreases each time there is a death from
another cause - censoring.

* With the subdistribution hazard subjects
that die from another cause remain in the
risk set and are given a censoring time
that is larger than all event times.

So that's two of the cited references which "recommend to apply the
ordinary survival regressions treating the subjects with competing
events as censored at the end of the study period."

Thanks again,

Paul Seed