Re: st: replenish panel data

Subject   Re: st: replenish panel data
Date   Mon, 30 Apr 2012 18:28:58 +0200

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 6:23 PM, "Fabian Schönenberger"  wrote:
> Many thanks for the quick reply. I used the following formula:
> merge 1:1 CUSIP fyear using "file inventory", keep(master match)
>
> In the "file inventory" also CUSIP and fyear define each point-in-time.
>
> However, matching was incorrect and not complete. Incorrect because the transferred data do not match (CUSIP and fyear) with the data in the "file inventory", in other words, the wrong inventory was assigned to the false CUSIP and fyear pair.

With these kinds of questions the devil is in the detail, so it is
hard for us to find out what you are doing wrong. Some good tips and
tricks are given here:

http://blog.stata.com/2011/04/18/merging-data-part-1-merges-gone-bad/

http://blog.stata.com/2011/05/27/merging-data-part-2-multiple-key-merges/

Hope this helps,