st: replenish panel data

From   "Fabian Schönenberger" <sch.f@gmx.ch>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: replenish panel data
Date   Mon, 30 Apr 2012 15:32:55 +0200

Dear Statalist
I am facing to following problem. I have a panel data with ID=CUSIP and t=fyear and many other variables like sales, ebits etc.. I have to replenish the original data set with a new variable (inventory). Therefore I need the command to add the inventory for the equivalent CUSIP at the equivalent point-in-time. I have tried merge. But with merge also the unmatched data points are added to the origianl data set. With append I cannot specify ID and fyear.

Suggestions are highly appreciated.

Best regards, Fabian