st: odbc load

From   Jen Zhen <>
Subject   st: odbc load
Date   Thu, 26 Apr 2012 15:39:41 +0200

Dear Statalisters,

I am trying to load a dataset (or, for size reasons, parts of it) from
SQL into Stata.

I got as far as typing
   local db "DRIVER={MySQL ODBC 5.1
   local sql "SHOW tables"
   odbc load, exec("`sql'") conn("`db'") clear
which shows me a list of all tables in the database "my_database":
Tables_in_my_database", "table1" and "table2".

However, I don't manage to open one of these tables. I typed
   odbc load, table(table1) conn("`db'") clear
which I thought should load table1 into memory, but Stata then just tells me:

   The ODBC driver reported the following diagnostics
   [MySQL][ODBC 5.1 Driver][mysqld-5.1.30]You have an error in your
SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your
   MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'table1' at line 1

Might anyone be able to tell me what I'm getting wrong here?

Thanks so much and best regards,