Re: st: creating a Stata 12 business calendar

From   Alberto Dorantes <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: creating a Stata 12 business calendar
Date   Tue, 24 Apr 2012 16:41:44 -0500

Hi Francesco.
Here is an example that might help you:

1) Create a time series stata file with all possible business days in
the period you want
2) Using tsset and tsfill create a file that has the days that are
omitted in your time series, and save this file
3) Edit this file in the format required by any
Stata-Business-Calendar file (.stbcal) to indicate the time period and
other details.
4) Save this file with the extension .stbcal
5) Use the function bofd to calculate your own calendar code
6) format your calendar code variable using %tbYOURVARIABLE

Here is an example:

* Using the s&p500 index from the online Fred database:
freduse SP500
* If you have not used the freduse command, just type "findit
freduse", and install this command
tsset daten
* Use the tsfill command to add ALL possible dates that are not
included in the SP500 file:
tsfill
* Now keep only those dates that were included with the tsfill command
(the omitted dates or non-business days):
keep if SP500==.
drop date SP500
* Now drop all weekend days from the file:
drop if dow(daten)==0 | dow(daten)==6
* Now generate 2 string variables:
gen omit="omit "
gen date="date "
* Change the order of the variables:
order daten, after(date)
* Now save the file to a txt file with the extension .stbcal:
outsheet using "micalendario.stbcal", comma nonames replace

/* The following are instructions you HAVE to FOLLOW to MANIPULATE the
.stbcal file:

* Open the Stata do-file Editor, and load the file micalendario.stbcal
and replace the double quote (") character by an empty
* character, and the comma character by an empty space.
* At the beginning of the file, copy the following rows to the file
(without the asterisc *):
* version 12
* range 02jan1957 23apr2012
* centerdate 01jan1960
* omit dayofweek (Sa Su)
*
* Save the file with the same name "micalendario.stbcal" or the name
you had chosen
*/

* Now you can continue with the following commands to generate your
business calendar code:

freduse SP500, clear
gen diahabil=bofd("micalendario", daten)
format diahabil %tbmicalendario
* Testing that your calendar code worked, type:
tsset diahabil
count if missing(L1.SP500) & _n>1
* You have to get zero from this count. This means that in your
calendar code, there are no gaps, so you can use tsset without
*  problem.
* THAT'S IT!

The micalendario.stbcal file have to look something like:

version 12
range 02jan1957 23apr2012
centerdate 01jan1960
omit dayofweek (Sa Su)