st: RE: changing observations under one variable

From   Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
Subject   st: RE: changing observations under one variable
Date   Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:08:19 +0100

The word format means so many things! "29jan1999" is not a format in the sense of -format-. It might the result of setting a particular format?

Is -date- a string variable? Is it a numeric variable with a date format assigned.

Do you want another string variable? Do you want a numeric variable with a specified display -format-?

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Rudy Hover

I have one variable called 'date' with observations in the format '29jan1999' until '19dec2006', so the last working day of the month, the month and then the year. I want to change this to the format '199901' or '200612', so I don't need the day anymore, only the year and then the month. Could you help me how to replace?