st: changing observations under one variable

From   Rudy Hover <rudy.hover@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: changing observations under one variable
Date   Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:41:13 +0200

In a dataset I have one variable called 'date' with observations in the format '29jan1999' until '19dec2006', so the last working day of the month, the month and then the year. I want to change this to the format '199901' or '200612', so I don't need the day anymore, only the year and then the month. Could you help me how to replace?