Re: st: control a variable in stata

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: control a variable in stata
Date   Sat, 21 Apr 2012 13:54:23 +0100

The research question is explaining salaries. That being so you would be better off with -poisson- or -glm, link(log).

OLS is an estimation method, not a model.

Nick

On 21 Apr 2012, at 13:33, "Kong, Chun" <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Nora,

Thank you very much for your advice!! I really appreciate for your time and help :) I am going to add a race and age variable and see how they affect on player's salary. I have look through the paper you have suggested and other studies with the related topic and they gave me many great ideas!! Regarding the choice of model, do you mean that OLS is the appropriate and the only model I should if I only have data in 1 season??

Thank you very much for your help again!

Yours sincerely
Andy
From: [email protected] [owner- [email protected]] on behalf of Nora Reich [[email protected]]
Sent: 20 April 2012 17:15
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: control a variable in stata

Dear Andy,

first some ideas about your independent variables:

1. You distinguish between players born in the US and players born
outside the US. I would suggest to also control for skin colour (black
or white), either only for those born in the US or for all (depending
on the results of these estimations), because skin colour seems to
affect the salary as well, see, for example, this paper:
http://business.uni.edu/economics/Themes/rehnstrom.pdf (which I found
by simply googling).

2. Another important factor might be the number of years the player
has played in the NBA.

3. Maybe age also plays a role?

Generally, my advice would be to look at papers with a similar
research question and derive your list of independent variables from
the literature review (and, of course, from own ideas). Have you done
a literature review? This is usually a good thing to do before
estimating regressions.

Random effects and fixed effects models are for panel data. If you
have only 1 NBA season, these models are not appropriate. However, if
you have a variable "year" which tells you whether the data is from
2010 or 2011, it would be valuable to include a dummy for one of the
years in your regression.

For the tests for the assumptions of the OLS model, just google
something like "regress postestimation stata".

Best regards
Nora