st: correction for within panel serial correlation in standard errors

From   Yogesh Uppal <stata.list.queries@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: correction for within panel serial correlation in standard errors
Date   Fri, 20 Apr 2012 15:49:44 -0400

Dear All,

I want to check sensitivity of my results with respect to possible
within-panel serial correlation in a sample for 50 US states over 28
years.

I am trying following methods to compute the standard errors: cluster,
xtscc, bootstrapping.

I have a few questions regarding each of these:

1) How do I determine which of these methods is more suited to my data?

2) While bootstrapping SEs, is there a method to determine the optimal
number of repetitions?

I will also appreciate it if you could share a resource that compares
these methods.

Thanks in advance.

best,

Yogesh