st: Aggregating spatial units

From   Gindo Tampubolon <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: Aggregating spatial units
Date   Fri, 20 Apr 2012 17:59:11 +0000

Dear good folks,

Is there a way of aggregating lower scale spatial units into higher ones [say Output Areas into Authority Districts in Britain or perhaps zip codes into counties in the US]? I have Output Areas boundary file in ESRI Shapefiles format and a look-up table from Output Areas to Authority Districts.
With -shp2dta- and -spmap- I've been able to play around maps, but only with the scale given by the boundary files producer. Perhaps what I'm looking for is something like unionSpatialPolygons {maptools} in R. Just in case, my excuse for asking is: the rest of the analysis is in Stata.

Many thanks and have a good weekend,

Cambridge, MA