st: Index Construction in Stata

From   "Krichevskiy, Dmitriy" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: Index Construction in Stata
Date   Sat, 14 Apr 2012 16:20:43 +0000

Dear members of the Stata community,

I am trying to figure out how to construct in index in Stata. I want to implement Mobility index developed by Richard Dickens (see, Caught in a Trap? Wage Mobility in Great Britain: 1975-1994, Economica Vol 67. No 268 [Nov 2000] p492)

The index construction is a fraction with the numerator -  double the sum of all individual absolute values derived from differencing income CDFs from one year to the other. Denominator - number of individuals.

 I have a panel dataset of individuals with income reported with some periods missing for number of individuals. I am currently still using 11th version of Stata.

All the help is much appreciated.