RE: st: Implementation of Latent Variable Model with SEM Builder

From   Cameron McIntosh <[email protected]>
To   STATA LIST <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Implementation of Latent Variable Model with SEM Builder
Date   Sat, 14 Apr 2012 07:24:13 -0400

And to follow up on John`s index idea, it also seems to me that the indicators of health are causal rather than reflective (i.e., health is not a latent variable that mutually influences blood pressure, chronic disease, and physical limitations, rather, these variables cause/form health status... and are also clinimetric rather than psychometric). Please see:

Fayers P.M., & Hand, D.J. (2002). Causal variables, indicator variables, and measurement scales: an example from quality of life. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A, 165(2), 233-261.

Fayers P.M., & Hand, D.J. (1997). Factor analysis, causal indicators, and quality of life. Quality of Life Research, 6, 139-150.

Boehmer, S., & Luszczynska, A. (2006). Two Kinds of Items in Quality of Life Instruments: ‘Indicator and Causal Variables’ in the EORTC QLQ-C30. Quality of Life Research, 15(1), 131-141.

Fayers P.M. (2004). Quality-of-life measurement in clinical trials--the impact of causal variables. Journal of Biopharmaceutical Statistics, 14(1), 155-176.ftp://124.42.15.59/ck/2011-04/165/027/480/531/Quality-of-Life%20Measurement%20in%20Clinical%20Trials%A1%AAThe%20Impact%20of%20Causal%20Variables..pdf

Buis, M.L. (yyyy). Combining information from multiple variables using models for causal indicators. The Stata Journal, vv(ii), 1–14.http://www.maartenbuis.nl/wp/prop.pdf

Bollen, K.A., & Bauldry, S. (2011). Three Cs in measurement models: Causal indicators, composite indicators, and covariates. Psychological Methods, 16(3), 265-284.

Bollen, K.A. (2011). Evaluating Effect, Composite, and Causal Indicators in Structural Equation Models. MIS Quarterly, 35(2), 359-372.

Cam