st: Remedy for serial correlation in Panel Data

From   "D. Demetriou" <>
Subject   st: Remedy for serial correlation in Panel Data
Date   06 Apr 2012 18:54:25 +0100

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question: what is the best way to account for Serial correlation in Panel Data (T=10, N=9)?

Some (e.g. Cameron&Triverdi) say that autocorrelation is more a problem in long macro panels=> I shouldn't worry according to them

Others say that it is certainly a problem, irrespective of circumstances, since it violates one of the basic assumtpions of panel data and gives 'wrong' standard errors => I should worry very much according to them

So?? Any ideas on this?

PS: I am using 'xtserial' test (Wooldridge test for autocorrelation in Panel Data) to detect whether or not serial correlation is a problem.