Re: st: multiple merging

From   Nick Cox <njcoxstata@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: multiple merging
Date   Tue, 3 Apr 2012 14:04:17 +0100

Not at all.

-help which- explains, or at least implies, that the characters *! at
the start of line produce a special kind of comment line that -which-
displays.

Programmers may use such lines in their programs. (You can use such
lines in do-files if you like, but I think the only consequence is
that you can find such lines more easily in a text editor.)

There is more in section 2b of

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/lang/version2.html

I'd assert that most user-programmers use such comment lines. Their
use will be as high, or even higher, in Stata Journal-originating
programs as in those from SSC, and programmers maintaining independent
websites, such as Roger Newson, use *! pervasively too.