Re: st: multiple merging

From   Abhimanyu Arora <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: multiple merging
Date   Tue, 3 Apr 2012 12:26:02 +0200

Hi Nick
Thanks very much indeed. Helps clear my understanding both of
-gettoken- and the use of compound double quotes.
Even as I await Ryan Knight's reply with regard to SSC's -mergeall-, I
was trying using Mike M Mitchell's -nmerge- (the -which- command
doesn't seem to display the version of the do file).

The use of nmerge requires the file names in its syntax (simply
separated by spaces, hence the reason for using the extended macro fcn
clean—but error both with and without this)

After the use of gettoken I get the file names but each in double
quotes. Say the macro files contains the strings "file1.dta"
"file2.dta" ...

Assume we start with file0 (the one to which others will merge)

Complementing with
local files4=subinstr(`"`files'"',".dta","",.)

I get

. nmerge date using `"`files4'"'
One or more filenames after 'using' required
(no error though)

di `"`files4'"'

"file1" "file2"....and so on

OR

local files2 : list clean files
local files3=subinstr(`"`files2'"',".dta","",.)

I get
. nmerge date using `"`files3'"'
'file2' found where nothing expected

di `"`files3'"'

file1 file2... and so on

Not able to understand why this error. I thought the second option
should work out but don't know what's blocking.

Abhimanyu