Re: st: how to parallelize Mata (or steal the performance of built-in -tab, summarize-)

From   László Sándor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: how to parallelize Mata (or steal the performance of built-in -tab, summarize-)
Date   Mon, 2 Apr 2012 23:44:05 -0400

Thanks for this, Nick.

I found my (plenty and embarrassing) mistakes in my code, below is a
neater version that also actually does what it should, or so it seems.

That said, it is still rarely faster than logging -tab, sum()- though
with many millions of observations, running on many (>4) cores, it at
least has a little advantage. (But both beat my bare bones Mata
attempts.)

I would still be a bit curious how secret the secret sauce of
StataCorp is for this, as this "collapsing" is pretty commonplace for
many descriptives (also bar graphs, line graphs etc), and while they
are rightly proud if they could tweak -tabulate- to run this fast,
they perhaps could let us (and themselves) working towards other
similar code also running faster. Though, of course, there must be a
reason (general purpose etc.) while this is harder elsewhere.

Thanks again,

Laszlo

tempvar wsum tag

if ("`y2_var'"!="") local y2 y2
else local y2 ""

sort `x_q' `touse'
by `x_q' `touse': g byte `tag' = _n == _N
if ("`weight1'"!="") by `x_q' `touse': g `wsum' = sum(`weight1')
else by `x_q' `touse': g `wsum' = _N

foreach v in x y `y2' {
	if ("`weight1'"!="") by `x_q' `touse': g ``v'_mean' = sum(``v'_r'*`weight1')
	else by `x_q' `touse': g ``v'_mean' = sum(``v'_r')

	quietly replace ``v'_mean' = cond(`tag' & `touse',``v'_mean'/`wsum',.)
}