Re: st: Logit Model- Controlling for Differences Across Groups (Countries)

From   Michael Weinberg <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Logit Model- Controlling for Differences Across Groups (Countries)
Date   Mon, 2 Apr 2012 22:10:44 +0200

Dear Dr. Hoaglin,

Thank you so much for responding to my Statalist question. I thought
I'd contact you directly to clear up some confusion I still have-- of
course if you don't have time, I will certainly understand.

My model is meant to explain factors that influence  'Preference for
Self-Employment' (a binary variable) among the 2000 respondents in the
5 countries. In addition to the individual variables (such as age,
gender, wealth, risk willingness, etc), I wanted to include several
macro factors, such as GDP per capita, inflation variability, taxes on
business profits, property rights, and several more. I believe that
such factors are theoretically important in explaining my dependent
variable, so I am eager to include them in the model.

As I understood from your advice, I can include this information only
by removing some or all country dummies, and then I'm still limited to
only four macro variable. I am unfortunately not an expert with
binary-response regressions, but this seems like a major limitation to
these models. Do you recommend any other way (perhaps another model
entirely?) which I can employ to capture the explanatory power of
these macro variables without forsaking the country dummies (which
seem, from your comments, to be rather essential to the model)?

Best,

Michael