Re: st: Command for wrong version of stata?

To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu, statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Command for wrong version of stata?
Date   Sat, 31 Mar 2012 21:55:53 -0500

At 06:09 PM 3/31/2012, Noel Addy wrote:
I'm changing laptops, so I'm moving all of my programs over, including
Stata v10.1.

Running my programs on the new computer, I find that I need all the
add-ins that I've accumulated over time.  There's no problem for most
of them.  However, running a program after updating Stata for the
'parmby' command, I got this response: this is version 10.1 of Stata;
it cannot run version 11.0 programs. You can purchase the latest
version of Stata by visiting http://www.stata.com.

The command in the program still runs on my old computer.  How do I
put the v10.1 parmby command in my new computer?

Thanks in advance!
Noel Addy

Roger Newson is really good about keeping old versions of his programs available. Note that -parmby- is part of his -parmest- package. Quoting from a post of his from Aug 11, 2009,

Users of Stata versions 10, 9, 8, 7, 6 and 5 can still download the versions of -parmest- for their Stata versions from my website by typing, in Stata,

net from http://www.imperial.ac.uk/nhli/r.newson/

and selecting the -parmest- package written in the appropriate version of Stata.

Incidentally, I often just copy c:\ado from one machine to another. I think that doesn't work correctly if some programs have Mata libraries, but otherwise it seems ok. You might also have problems if, say, profile.do is customized differently on your different machines.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam