Bookmark and Share

Notice: On March 31, it was announced that Statalist is moving from an email list to a forum. The old list will shut down at the end of May, and its replacement, statalist.org is already up and running.


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: st: RE: Diagnostic results of ivreg2


From   Abekah Nkrumah <ankrumah@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: RE: Diagnostic results of ivreg2
Date   Thu, 29 Mar 2012 13:41:27 +0100

Dear Mark,

Thank you very much for the further explanation, I am very grateful
for your help. Let me also use this opportunity to thank you very much
for the great work you do by spending time to answer question on this
platform. Its been such a great resource to me and I believe to may
other people using this platform.

Once gain Thank you very much for the help.

Regards,

Gordon.

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 11:48 AM, Schaffer, Mark E
<M.E.Schaffer@hw.ac.uk> wrote:
> Gordon,
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
>> [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of
>> Abekah Nkrumah
>> Sent: 29 March 2012 01:22
>> To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
>> Subject: Re: st: RE: Diagnostic results of ivreg2
>>
>> Dear Mark,
>>
>> Thank you very much for your mail. Yes what i meant was that
>> the test failed to reject the null hypothesis that the
>> regressor is exogenous.
>> If i do get your argument, your point is that I may be better
>> of interpreting the consistent but biased IV estimates
>> compared to the precise but possibly inconsistent OLS.
>
> It comes down to you, really - you could justify either choice.
>
>> But is it possible that the failure to reject the null that
>> the regressor is endogenous could be symptoms of weak
>> instruments? which could make the biase in the IV estimates
>> bigger than the OLS.
>
> You're right that the endogeneity text presumes a contrast between a well-specified IV estimate vs. an OLS estimate.
>
> But your previous email said that the specification tests you used implied that your instruments are not weak, which suggests you may not have to worry a lot about this.
>
> --Mark
>
>>
>> Thank you very much and will appreciate your thoughts on this.
>>
>> Regards
>> Gordon
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 12:13 AM, Schaffer, Mark E
>> <M.E.Schaffer@hw.ac.uk> wrote:
>> > Gordon,
>> >
>> > Can you explain what you mean when you say "However the test of
>> > endogeneity fails"?  Do you mean that you fail to reject
>> the null that
>> > the regressor is exogenous?
>> >
>> > That just means that there's no significant difference
>> between your IV
>> > and OLS estimates of the coefficient.  A reason to be
>> careful here is
>> > if the IV estimate is not very precise, i.e., the SE is
>> large, and you
>> > have good prior reasons to think that the coefficient is
>> endogenous.
>> > If that's the case, then you may well be better off with
>> the imprecise
>> > but consistent estimator (IV) than with the (apparently)
>> precise but
>> > inconsistent estimator.  On the other hand, you could probably also
>> > construct an argument that goes the other way on MSE or similar
>> > grounds, i.e., you're willing to accept some (asymptotic) bias in
>> > exchange for an estimator with a smaller variance.
>> >
>> > --Mark
>> >
>> >> -----Original Message-----
>> >> From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
>> >> [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Abekah
>> >> Nkrumah
>> >> Sent: 28 March 2012 13:47
>> >> To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
>> >> Subject: st: Diagnostic results of ivreg2
>> >>
>> >> Hi All,
>> >>
>> >> I am running an IV for a continuous dependent variable. The
>> >> endogenous variable is also continuous so am using the use-written
>> >> ivreg2 command and I correct for intra-cluster correlation
>> by using
>> >> the cluster robust option. My first-stage results suggest that the
>> >> following diagnostic tests are fine: (1)
>> underidentification test via
>> >> Kleibergen Paap Wald statistsic  (2) overidentification
>> test via the
>> >> Hansen J statistic (3) weak instrument test via the Crag-Donald
>> >> F-statistic and the Stock-Yogo relative bias thresholds (4) The F
>> >> statistic for the joint significance of the instruments in
>> the first
>> >> stage is also more than 10 for purposes of Staiger and
>> Stoke's  rule
>> >> (5) Weak instrument robust test via the Anderson -Rubin wald test.
>> >>
>> >> However the test of endogeneity fails, suggesting that the
>> endogenous
>> >> regressor is not endogenous. I am however optimistic from a
>> >> theoretical perceptive that the purported endogenous regressor is
>> >> indeed endogenous. I am not too sure what may be happening? Could
>> >> this be taken as symptoms of weak or invalid instruments
>> even though
>> >> it passes all the relevant  statistical test? I will
>> appreciate your
>> >> help
>> >>
>> >> Gordon
>> >> *
>> >> *   For searches and help try:
>> >> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
>> >> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
>> >> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>> >>
>> >
>> >
>> > --
>> > Heriot-Watt University is the Sunday Times Scottish
>> University of the
>> > Year 2011-2012
>> >
>> > We invite research leaders and ambitious early career
>> researchers to
>> > join us in leading and driving research in key inter-disciplinary
>> > themes. Please see
>> >
>> > http://www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders
>> >
>> > for further information and how to apply.
>> >
>> > Heriot-Watt University is a Scottish charity registered
>> under charity
>> > number SC000278.
>> >
>> >
>> > *
>> > *   For searches and help try:
>> > *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
>> > *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
>> > *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>>
>> *
>> *   For searches and help try:
>> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
>> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
>> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>>
>
>
> --
> Heriot-Watt University is the Sunday Times
> Scottish University of the Year 2011-2012
>
> We invite research leaders and ambitious early career
> researchers to join us in leading and driving research
> in key inter-disciplinary themes. Please see
>
> http://www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders
>
> for further information and how to apply.
>
> Heriot-Watt University is a Scottish charity
> registered under charity number SC000278.
>
>
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/

*
*   For searches and help try:
*   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
*   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
*   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/


© Copyright 1996–2014 StataCorp LP   |   Terms of use   |   Privacy   |   Contact us   |   Site index