Bookmark and Share

Notice: On March 31, it was announced that Statalist is moving from an email list to a forum. The old list will shut down on April 23, and its replacement, statalist.org is already up and running.


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: st: RE: Diagnostic results of ivreg2


From   Abekah Nkrumah <ankrumah@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: RE: Diagnostic results of ivreg2
Date   Thu, 29 Mar 2012 01:22:01 +0100

Dear Mark,

Thank you very much for your mail. Yes what i meant was that the test
failed to reject the null hypothesis that the regressor is exogenous.
If i do get your argument, your point is that I may be better of
interpreting the consistent but biased IV estimates compared to the
precise but possibly inconsistent OLS.

But is it possible that the failure to reject the null that the
regressor is endogenous could be symptoms of weak instruments? which
could make the biase in the IV estimates bigger than the OLS.

Thank you very much and will appreciate your thoughts on this.

Regards
Gordon

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 12:13 AM, Schaffer, Mark E
<M.E.Schaffer@hw.ac.uk> wrote:
> Gordon,
>
> Can you explain what you mean when you say "However the test of
> endogeneity fails"?  Do you mean that you fail to reject the null that
> the regressor is exogenous?
>
> That just means that there's no significant difference between your IV
> and OLS estimates of the coefficient.  A reason to be careful here is if
> the IV estimate is not very precise, i.e., the SE is large, and you have
> good prior reasons to think that the coefficient is endogenous.  If
> that's the case, then you may well be better off with the imprecise but
> consistent estimator (IV) than with the (apparently) precise but
> inconsistent estimator.  On the other hand, you could probably also
> construct an argument that goes the other way on MSE or similar grounds,
> i.e., you're willing to accept some (asymptotic) bias in exchange for an
> estimator with a smaller variance.
>
> --Mark
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
>> [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of
>> Abekah Nkrumah
>> Sent: 28 March 2012 13:47
>> To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
>> Subject: st: Diagnostic results of ivreg2
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am running an IV for a continuous dependent variable. The
>> endogenous variable is also continuous so am using the
>> use-written ivreg2 command and I correct for intra-cluster
>> correlation by using the cluster robust option. My
>> first-stage results suggest that the following diagnostic
>> tests are fine: (1) underidentification test via Kleibergen
>> Paap Wald statistsic  (2) overidentification test via the
>> Hansen J statistic (3) weak instrument test via the
>> Crag-Donald F-statistic and the Stock-Yogo relative bias
>> thresholds (4) The F statistic for the joint significance of
>> the instruments in the first stage is also more than 10 for
>> purposes of Staiger and Stoke's  rule (5) Weak instrument
>> robust test via the Anderson -Rubin wald test.
>>
>> However the test of endogeneity fails, suggesting that the
>> endogenous regressor is not endogenous. I am however
>> optimistic from a theoretical perceptive that the purported
>> endogenous regressor is indeed endogenous. I am not too sure
>> what may be happening? Could this be taken as symptoms of
>> weak or invalid instruments even though it passes all the
>> relevant  statistical test? I will appreciate your help
>>
>> Gordon
>> *
>> *   For searches and help try:
>> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
>> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
>> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>>
>
>
> --
> Heriot-Watt University is the Sunday Times
> Scottish University of the Year 2011-2012
>
> We invite research leaders and ambitious early career
> researchers to join us in leading and driving research
> in key inter-disciplinary themes. Please see
>
> http://www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders
>
> for further information and how to apply.
>
> Heriot-Watt University is a Scottish charity
> registered under charity number SC000278.
>
>
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/

*
*   For searches and help try:
*   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
*   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
*   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/


© Copyright 1996–2014 StataCorp LP   |   Terms of use   |   Privacy   |   Contact us   |   Site index