Re: st: predict(pu0) after clogit

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: predict(pu0) after clogit
Date   Tue, 27 Mar 2012 12:14:23 +0200

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Ori Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
> What do you think about using "margins, dydx(*) predict(pu0)" in my
> case, after the clogit?
>
> In the results table it says "Pr(choice1|fixed effect is 0)", but I
> don't understand what does it means by "fixed effect is 0". I don't
> have fixed effects in the model, only majors income and interaction
> between major income and the ethnic origin of the individuals.

You have fixed effects: that is what -clogit- is giving you. If you do
not want fixed effects than -clogit- is the wrong command.

I don't think that the - predict(pu0)- option in -margins- is what you
want as it is a rather weird hybrid between average marginal effects
and marginal effects at average values of explanatory variables. The
fixed effects are implemented such that the value 0 represents the
average (which is why you have a constant in -clogit-). So your
margins command gives you marginal effects averaged over your observed
variable but at the same time fixing the fixed effects at its average.

The best thing you can do is work with odds, odds ratios, and ratios
of odds ratios.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis