st: Xtgee - noconstant option

From   Solon Moreira <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: Xtgee - noconstant option
Date   Thu, 22 Mar 2012 14:44:02 +0100

Dear Statalist members,

I'm trying to run an xtgee model predicting firm's market-share on t+1 using a group of explanatory variables regarding firm characteristics (continuous) and contractual aspects of technology transfer contracts (dummy). I am using the following specifications: link (identity) family (Gaussian) corr (exchangeable). My issue here is related with the fact that when I set the option noconstant (go through the origin) all the coefficients become much more significant. Although I would expect that for some variables it makes sense, I do not fully understand this effect as well if it is right to use in that option for an xtgee model. Would someone have a suggestion if the use of noconstant is not indicated in this case?

Solon Moreira
Copenhagen Business School - INO