Re: st: Multilevel difference modeling with suest

Subject   Re: st: Multilevel difference modeling with suest
Date   Mon, 19 Mar 2012 17:40:40 -0400

Peter Goff <[email protected]>:
First, read
 help _mtest
to see why you can't test one coef after another without distorting
size of tests.

However, I don't see how testing for nonzero differences in
coefficients is helpful in your case.
Imagine T is P times 2 plus noise; coefs in the T eq are roughly twice as large.
I.e. T evaluate bad P twice as harshly and good P twice as kindly on
average, but otherwise rankings are identical in expectation.
What does it mean that you can reject z=y then?
The equations are the same in any real sense.
Using rank or standardizing need not solve the problem of comparability.

Maybe you can
  cap ssc inst ivreg2
  ivreg2 P (T=X*), cl(Pid)
where the null of the overid test is that X has no impact on P except
via T; if there is an independent effect of  an X on P you should
reject the null.
This is a highly nonstandard use of an overid test, and I have not
thought through the implications or assumptions.
Not at all in the -mvreg- frame, for sure.

Another thing to worry about: do X variables also affect skewness of T
evaluations?
The conditional mean may not be the best measure of a typical
teacher's evaluation.