Re: st: AW: Difference between -suest- and -sureg-

Subject   Re: st: AW: Difference between -suest- and -sureg-
Date   Mon, 27 Apr 2009 10:54:04 -0400

Herve STOLOWY:
I would use -suest- for your problem. -sureg- gives you more or less
the same answer as two separate OLS regressions when both regressions
have the same RHS variables, but it does allow you to test across
equations.  If that is all you want, and you think the OLS assumptions
are justified, it may be preferable, I suppose.  -suest- gives you the
same point estimates as the separate regressions, even when RHS
variables differ across equations, but will give you slightly
different variance estimates--it also estimates additional covariance
terms--and it has more flexibility (there is no vce or cluster option
on -sureg- for example).  Try e.g.

sysuse auto, clear
qui sureg (mpg weight=foreign length), dfk
mat sureg=e(V)
est sto sureg
qui reg mpg foreign length
est sto r1