st: RE: Use of aweights command in xtivreg2

From   "Schaffer, Mark E" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Use of aweights command in xtivreg2
Date   Wed, 7 Mar 2012 14:27:26 -0000

xtivreg2,fe allows weights because it was easy enough to program the
feature - xtivreg2 is just a wrapper for ivreg2.

But whether or not weighting makes sense is up to the user.

xtivreg,fe does not allow weights, but areg - which reports the same
estimator - does.  The rationale is in -help areg-:

"areg is designed for datasets with many groups, but not a number of
groups that increases with the sample size.  See the xtreg, fe command
in [XT] xtreg for an estimator that handles the case in which the number
of groups increases with the sample size."

> Thanks,
> Dan
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *
> *
> *

Heriot-Watt University is the Sunday Times
Scottish University of the Year 2011-2012

We invite research leaders and ambitious early career
researchers to join us in leading and driving research
in key inter-disciplinary themes. Please see

for further information and how to apply.

registered under charity number SC000278.