st: Use of aweights command in xtivreg2

From   Daniel Brown <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: Use of aweights command in xtivreg2
Date   Mon, 5 Mar 2012 16:45:05 +0000

Dear Statalist,

I am running weighted regressions using the aweights command (to reflect the fact that the observations for my dependent variable are themselves averages calculated on the basis of a varying number of underlying observations). When I perform fixed effects regressions, Stata does not allow me to weight observations for the same cross-sectional unit in different time periods differently. However, when I then perform IV analysis controlling for fixed effects using xtivreg2 (,fe), I apparently can weight observations in different time periods within a cross-sectional unit differently. I wanted to know why I am able to do this when using xtivreg2 (,fe) but not when using xtreg (,fe)?