Re: st: RE: code for dynamic programming

From   Osei Kuffour Wiafe <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: code for dynamic programming
Date   Fri, 2 Mar 2012 00:16:27 +1000

Thanks, I have seen the FORTRAN, looks fantastic but not much help for
my current need.Maybe a little explanation of the nature of the
equation might help.

It's a dynamic optimization problem which can be solved by backward
recursion, where I find the expectation at the time of a future
terminal date (which is known) and iterate backwards to the present.

Any optimization with iteration should help me out! Any ideas coming up?

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 9:22 PM, Nick Cox <> wrote:
> The code for -group1d- (SSC) (that's "1" (one) not the letter "l") uses a
> dynamic programming algorithm courtesy of John Hartigan's original FORTRAN,
> translated into my FORTRAN translated into some BASIC translated into
> Stata/Mata.
> I don't know what the Epstein-Zin utility is and I give no promises or
> predictions about how much it may help.
> If you're quite new to Stata this sounds a bit tough for a first
> programming problem. If you have expertise in one or more programming
> languages, much less so.
> Nick
> Osei Kuffour Wiafe
> I'm quite new to stata and I need help with coding a backward recursive
> problem. It is in the form of the Epstein-Zin utility and similar to the
> Bellman equation. I'd appreciate any other dynamic programming code which
> would relate to what I am doing. That should give me a clue to finding my
> solution. For now I have no idea where to begin!
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *
> *
> *

Osei K.
Phone: + 61 7 3138 6857 *
*Mobile: + 61 451 418 099

*I don't know who my grandfather was; I am much more concerned to know what
his grandson will be. ~ *Abraham Lincoln* *(1809- 1865)*

Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep
moving.  ~*Albert* *Einstein (1879-1955)