st: RE: code for dynamic programming

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: RE: code for dynamic programming
Date   Thu, 1 Mar 2012 11:22:59 +0000

The code for -group1d- (SSC) (that's "1" (one) not the letter "l") uses a dynamic programming algorithm courtesy of John Hartigan's original FORTRAN, translated into my FORTRAN translated into some BASIC translated into Stata/Mata.

I don't know what the Epstein-Zin utility is and I give no promises or predictions about how much it may help.

If you're quite new to Stata this sounds a bit tough for a first programming problem. If you have expertise in one or more programming languages, much less so.

Osei Kuffour Wiafe

I'm quite new to stata and I need help with coding a backward recursive
problem. It is in the form of the Epstein-Zin utility and similar to the
Bellman equation. I'd appreciate any other dynamic programming code which
would relate to what I am doing. That should give me a clue to finding my
solution. For now I have no idea where to begin!