Re: st: RE: New package -wridit- on SSC

From   "Seed, Paul" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: New package -wridit- on SSC
Date   Tue, 28 Feb 2012 16:41:04 +0000

Thanks as ever to Roger & Nick for their work on this.
I went back to the original article by Bross to try to understand what ridits were:
Bross, I. D. J.  1958.  How to use ridit analysis.  Biometrics 14: 38-58.

The name ridit actually derives by analogy from probit and logit,
and is in part "Relative to an Identified Distribution".
Neither -wridit- not -egen , ridit()- have options to specify the identified distribution,
as Bross intended.

However, it is possible to fudge it:
Assume I want ridits for rep78 in the auto dataset, and want to use the US subsample
as my Identified Distribution (or reference distribution).

* Begin example analysis *
sysuse auto, clear
egen ridit_rep78_usa  = ridit( rep78) if foreign == 0
bys rep78 (foreign) : replace ridit_rep78_usa  =  ridit_rep78_usa[1] if foreign[1] == 0
bys foreign : summ ridit_rep78_usa

* Contrast this with using all the data as the reference group:

egen ridit_rep78 = ridit( rep78)
bys foreign : summ ridit_rep78

* The means have shifted by a fixed amount, and the SD have changed slightly.

*  End example analysis  *