st: RE: looping to value of a variable

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: RE: looping to value of a variable
Date   Wed, 22 Feb 2012 17:23:14 +0000

Your example is not very clear. You have FU* and by implication DFU*. Do you want to flag missings or non-missings? I can read your post either way.

However, you (almost surely) do not need to loop over observations. It is sufficient to loop over variables.

See a review in this territory

SJ-9-1  pr0046  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Speaking Stata: Rowwise
        (help rowsort, rowranks if installed) . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox
        Q1/09   SJ 9(1):137--157
        shows how to exploit functions, egen functions, and Mata
        for working rowwise; rowsort and rowranks are introduced

Richard Fox
I want to loop to the value of a variable. Let's say I have generated the number of non-missing values in a row of data (maxFU in example below). I want to loop to that value which clearly can differ between records.

The following does the job but feels like cheating.

egen maxFU = rownonmissing(FU1 FU2 FU3 FU4 FU5 )

local N=r(N)
forvalues i = 1/`N' {
					local sp = maxFU[`i']
					forvalues j=1/`sp'	{