st: STATA MP

From   Chiara Mussida <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: STATA MP
Date   Tue, 21 Feb 2012 11:14:39 +0100

Dear All,
I would like your help in specifying the hardware characteristics of a
machine which should run STATA MP (with the actual version depending
on the actual number of core the machine will have) to be used to
handle either large amounts of data or a small amount of data to be
put through computationally intensive routines (i.e., bootstrapping or
jackknives). The computer should be a workstation/stand-alone machine
and not a dedicated cluster or calculus centre. In principle, we would
like to spec the machine to be able to handle two instances of STATA
running simultaneously but we could settle for one user at a time if
the requirements are such that the machine becomes too expensive
and/or performances degrade too much.
Does anybody have knowledge of the characteristics of such a machine?
Can anyone share the configuration of their number-crunching powerful
machine and give me a sense of the runtime of some demanding routines?
The hottest point in my mind regards whether a multicore Xeon
processor is enough to deliver a significant reduction in runtime
compared to, say, a laptop i7 processor. Likewise, which is the best
option for combining number of cores and clock speed (in my mind, if I
get a slowish processor I get the maximum amount of cores possible
while if I get a fast processor I might compromise on the numbers of
cores).
Regarding RAM I am aware that STATA Corp. recommends having a quantity
of RAM allowing for data to be loaded in memory + 50%. I will adjust
the memory requirements according to the numbers of processors. A
minor issue might be whether a RAID architecture for hard drives is
recommended to avoid significant bottlenecks in operation.
Thank you very much in advance for any help and assistance you will be
able to provide me on this issue. Looking forward to be hearing from
you.
Best,
Chiara