st: Transform source table to edgelist (or nodelist)

From   Steve Sauerwald <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Transform source table to edgelist (or nodelist)
Date   Mon, 20 Feb 2012 04:11:34 -0600

Dear Stata users,

I have a source table that contains manager/firm information. A
manager can work for M companies and a company can have N managers.
For instance, the following table shows 2 firms (FID 1 and 2) and four
managers (MID A, B, C, and D).

FID   MID
1       A
1       B
1       C
2       A
2       B
2       D

Now, I'd like to create the interlocking relationships between managers. If
two managers work together in the same firm (or in more than one
firm), this would indicate a "1." If not, a "0." The end result should
be an adjacency matrix but I'd be happy to get to an edgelist first
such as the following:

MID1 MID2  CONNECT
A       B        1
A       C        1
A       D        1
B       C        1
B       D        1
C       D        0

Based on the information in the source table, manager C and manager D
are not connected in either firm 1 or 2, hence the 0. My actual source
table contains quite a few records so it would be great to automate
this process. Does anyone have an idea of how to implement this in
Stata?

Alternatively, the UCLA Stata website
(http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/code/adj_matrix.htm) shows some
code to transform a nodelist into an adjacency matrix (If someone
knows a way to transform my source table into a nodelist, that'd be
also a great help).

Thanks, Steve