Re: st: Interval regression: Categories with 100% censoring

Subject   Re: st: Interval regression: Categories with 100% censoring
Date   Sun, 19 Feb 2012 21:23:37 -0600

In this case, the regression parameter for the region may not be
identified. The numeric maximization algorithm pushes this parameter
to the right until the probability of being censored becomes as little
as possible, i.e., computer zero (or c(epsdouble), if you like).
Hence, the probability being above the point of left censoring becomes
computer 1-c(epsdouble). If this is the case, then (1) you would see
absurdly large standard errors on the shift parameter for this region;
(2) the point estimate would likely be a few sigmas (e(sigma)) away
from where it should have been:

. display abs( invnorm( c(epsfloat) ) )
5.1665781

Simple demonstration:

clear
set obs 20
gen byte k = mod(_n,4)
set seed 12345
gen e1 = rnormal()
gen e2 = rnormal()
gen y1 = min( k + e1, k + e2 )
gen y2 = max( k+e1, k+e2 )
replace y1 = . in 15/20
replace y2 = . in 1/7
replace y2 = . if k==1

Then we have

. intreg y1 y2 ibn.k, nocons nolog

Interval regression                               Number of obs   =         19
                                                  Wald chi2(4)    =     207.14
Log likelihood = -4.4521754                       Prob > chi2     =     0.0000

             |      Coef.   Std. Err.      z    P>|z|     [95% Conf. Interval]
-------------+----------------------------------------------------------------
           k |
          0  |   .1423818   .2701057     0.53   0.598    -.3870157    .6717792
          1  |   2.570719   233.2821     0.01   0.991    -454.6537    459.7952
          2  |   2.460023   .9607074     2.56   0.010     .5770706    4.342974
          3  |   3.053332   .2163009    14.12   0.000      2.62939    3.477274
    /lnsigma |  -1.227765   .5440687    -2.26   0.024     -2.29412   -.1614097
       sigma |   .2929467   .1593831                      .1008501    .8509434

  Observation summary:         5  left-censored observations
                               0     uncensored observations
                               9 right-censored observations
                               5       interval observations

. display (_b[1.k]-1)/e(sigma)