RE: st: Reading NetCDF files

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Reading NetCDF files
Date   Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:06:58 +0000

Despite using climatic data quite frequently, I have not (yet) used NetCDF files or even heard about them until Gordon started this thread. But I typically find myself reading in climatic data from what by Stata standards is a strangely structured text file and then it's half-a-hour of intensive ad hoc coding with -reshape-s, -rename-s and goodness knows what all over the place.

The modern way to do this in Stata would be to write, in Mata, specific software to handle NetCDF that was a translation of (say) C or Java code. There is no doubt that StataCorp are very, very good at writing this kind of program if only they could be convinced that enough users, or potential users, need it. As Gordon himself is not shy of writing Stata programs I read his reluctance to do it as implying that it is not trivial, or if trivial not interesting!

Gordon Hughes

Thank you for the various suggestions.  Some conclusions might be
useful for anyone else facing the same problem:

A.  There are quite a number of programs that will extract from or
use data in NetCDF files but all involve a minimum of one or two
intermediate steps before the data can be imported into Stata.  It
would be nice to eliminate this, but I don't have the time or
(probably) expertise to take it on because, at a minimum, it will
involve linking C or Fortran programs to Stata.

B.  Linux & other Unix derivatives are much better served than either
Windows or Mac OS-X in this area.

C.  Almost certainly, the most direct route is to use Matlab which
has built-in routines for accessing NetCDF files.  Octave & R provide
alternatives, but the routines are not as convenient and they rely on
user-written packages.

D.  There are some nice programs written in Java - hence available on
Windows & Macs - which are designed to display maps and other figures
from NetCDF data.  Some contain options to produce text files
containing the data which can be edited for use with
Stata.  Personally, I have found Panoply (written and maintained by
people at the NASA GISS centre) very easy to use.  It can generate
cdl text files; these are large and a bit tedious to edit but quite
straightforward in format.

Gordon Hughes
[email protected]