st: drop multiple observations which are strings

From   Shubhabrata Mukherjee <>
To   stata forum <>
Subject   st: drop multiple observations which are strings
Date   Tue, 14 Feb 2012 11:57:50 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,

   I am working with genetic data and have a list of almost 11 million observations (each is a string; e.g. rs12345, rs23456 etc) under the SNP variable in a results file. I have a separate list of SNPs (around 5000) which should be excluded from the results file.

  Now, some of the 5000 SNPs may not be there in the results file. I don't know which ones of the 5000 are present/absent in the results file. What would be the best way to drop any SNP from the results file which appears in the exclude SNP list?