Re: st: glm model syntax

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: glm model syntax
Date   Sun, 12 Feb 2012 10:19:06 +0000

Without specifying otherwise you are assumed to be using Stata 12.1,
in which case using factor variable notation is recommended rather
than -xi:-. That is a small detail, however.

You seem confused about GLMs. You need to do more than read the help,
but to work your way through some thorough introductory account.

Any assumptions about the distribution of the dependent variable (I
much prefer "response" or "outcome" for reasons often discussed) are
about its conditional distribution given the predictors. -ladder- can
not help with this unless you are working with residuals. It examines
the marginal distribution. That is of some relevance but only
indirectly.

It is unlikely to be the case that both a variable and its reciprocal
are approximately normally distributed. The reciprocal is a strong
transformation and although it can conceivably return the same (kind
of) distribution as the original this is unusual. Quantitative
thinking is essential here, i.e. it is/is not normal is qualitative
thinking. What are the skewness and kurtosis (or similar shape
measures)?

Much of the point of GLMs is that the link function replaces
transformation of the predictor. You do not use a link function _and_
the same transformation.

Model 3 uses no transformation while model 2 uses a reciprocal
transformation and the reciprocal link. But the reciprocal link
(approximately) reverses the transformation as the reciprocal of a
reciprocal is the original. Thus what you did is similar to showing
that 1/(1/y) is just y. Similar, but not identical, as using a
particular function as link and the same function as response
transformation are not exactly equivalent, but often the results will
be close, as you indicate.

Despite all this, the major part of assessment of a  GLM is not of the
marginal distribution but whether how closely the response is modelled
by predictions and whether the model makes sense. Judgements here
often need to be subtle and to mix statistical and scientific
judgement. For example with

sysuse auto
glm mpg weight
glm mpg weight, link(power -1)

The linear model looks good by most standards but a reciprocal link
function makes scientific sense (the implicit scale is gallons per
mile). A transformation would also make sense but -glm- offers the
possibility of considering other distribution familes too.

See also

SJ-4-4  gr0009  . . . . . . . . . . Speaking Stata: Graphing model diagnostics
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox
        (help anovaplot, indexplot, modeldiag, ofrtplot, ovfplot,
        qfrplot, racplot, rdplot, regplot, rhetplot, rvfplot2,
        rvlrplot, rvpplot2 if installed)
        Q4/04   SJ 4(4):449--475
        plotting diagnostic information calculated from residuals
        and fitted values from regression models with continuous

for a detailed example in which -glm- fit was also assessed
graphically. (The package was updated in SJ 10-1.)

In terms of your model, you can't rely on -ladder- results to indicate
the best link. You need to consider various possibilities and also
whether using a different distribution family other than normal makes
sense. But your comparisons should start with

xi:glm dep_var i.var1 i.var2 var3 var4

xi:glm dep_var i.var1 i.var2 var3 var4,link(power -1)

Nick