re: Re: st: RE: Getting variable names in a matrix

From   Christopher Baum <[email protected]>
Subject   re: Re: st: RE: Getting variable names in a matrix
Date   Fri, 10 Feb 2012 15:43:07 -0500

<>
I am trying to implement a momentum investment strategy. I.e. I need to rank stocks according to their cumulated performance over a previous period (this information is stored in my matrices) and then take the top X% in order to classify in which stocks I will invest in the subsequent period (hence I want the name of the asset in order to tell Stata which returns to cumulate for the investment).

My idea was to realize this through usage of matrices. However I do not know if there exists a better approach to solving this. Do you (or does anyone else) have some input for me?

There is a somewhat similar problem, relating to ranking of firms' returns versus index returns, described in sections 10.1 and 14.3 of ISP, referenced below. The first example uses only Stata, while the second, somewhat more involved, makes use of Mata.

Kit

Kit Baum   |   Boston College Economics and DIW Berlin   |   http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html
An Introduction to Stata Programming   |   http://www.stata-press.com/books/isp.html
An Introduction to Modern Econometrics Using Stata   |   http://www.stata-press.com/books/imeus.html